Internship program at the Gynecologic Oncology Centre
General University Hospital in Prague, First Medical Faculty of the Charles University
Gynecologic Oncology Centre is an ESGO certified postgraduate training centre treating more than 700 new patients with gynecological malignancy every year; the centre has expertise in full range of open as well as endoscopic procedures, it provides comprehensive treatment including chemotherapy and breast cancer surgery.
The main areas of scientific interest of the Centre feature:
- radical surgery, post-operative morbidity and long-term quality of life
- ultrasound diagnostics in gynecological oncology
- epigenetics and hereditary syndromes in gynecology
- precancerous lesions of the cervix and vulva, HPV associated diseases
Overview of publications over the past 5 years can be found HERE.
The centre hosts internship and study visits from local as well as foreign physicians and surgeons in the field of gynecological oncology. Having complied with all the administrative requirements the visitor may assist at surgical procedures, participate in surgery indications, in daily consultations, in expert oncological ultrasound examinations, and in tumor boards. Only one foreign visitor is accepted at any one time, so as to maximize the learning benefit.
Physicians or surgeons interested in the program should be either qualified gynaecological oncologists or at least second year fellows in gynecological oncology. The recommended period of internship ranges from 4 to 6 weeks, usually not exceeding the latter with respect to the high numbers of applicants.
If you are interested in an internship please follow the instructions below:
1) Letter of interest + CV. Please send your letter of interest to our assistant Mrs Kupcová – firstname.lastname@example.org, listing your experience in gynecological oncology and attaching your CV. Your name will be entered on a waiting list and you will be notified of dates available for internship (be aware that terms tend to be booked several months in advance). Once agreed, the date of internship should be considered binding (as no other visitor may be accepted for the same period of time).
2) Questionnaire. Once the date of internship has been agreed please refer to the website of the Department of Education at the General University Hospital in Prague (http://www.vfn.cz/odborna-verejnost/vzdelavani/staze-internship/internship/), complete the requisite questionnaire and send it to the hospital administration: email@example.com.
3) Accommodation. The Department of Education can arrange accommodation for you in the hospital dormitory (see prices below). The dormitory is conveniently located within 5 minutes walking distance of our department. There are a number of hotels close to our department – please make your own arrangements if you prefer hotel accommodation – see the list of hotels below.
Hospital dormitory accommodation prices:
Hospital dormitory DAK
Ke Karlovu 2, Prague 2
1 - 6 days 910 CZK / day
7 - 21 days 600 CZK / day
22 and more 350 CZK / day
Hotels in the vicinity of our department:
4) Contract. On the day of arrival, the intern signs a Professional Practical Training Contract with the hospital (see copy).
5) Visitor fee. The visitor is obliged pay a visitor fee to the hospital – depending on the duration and type of visit (30 EUR / day for short-term visits or individually adjusted fee for long-term visits). The fee is payable on the day of commencement of internship.
6) Insurance. The interns are required to obtain Professional liability insurance (Pojištění odpovědnosti za škody z výkonu povolání) with Česká pojišťovna, a.s. a local insurance company. The policy costs 845.-CZK. The premium is payable on the day of commencement of the internship.
Insurance Company: Česká pojišťovna, a.s., Lublaňská 48, Praha 2 (Tylova pasáž – Tylova arcade), Contact person: František Nosek,
tel. 222 543 256, Mobile tel.:724 006 900
7) Arrival. On the first day of internship the visitor should report to the Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Unit G1 (Gynecologic Oncology – ground floor), at 7.30 a.m. please see our assistant Mrs Kupcova.
For any queries please contact our assistant Mrs Kupcová (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Looking forward to having you at the department,
David Cibula M.D., Ph.D., Professor
Chair, Gynecologic Oncology Centre
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology
General University Hospital in Prague
First Medical Faculty of the Charles University